Post-Divorce Modification in Austin

Legal Help for Life’s Changing Circumstances

As you know from your divorce experience, circumstances in life can change drastically over time. In some situations, life changes may require post-divorce modification. Texas law allows modifications to certain aspects of a divorce decree. The Law Firm of T. Wade Jefferies provides legal representation to clients seeking post-divorce modification. As a trusted family law attorney, I have extensive experience helping client seek changes to their existing divorce decrees and other court orders.

Are you curious about the possibility of modifying your divorce decree? Call (512) 379-6274 today to learn more.

What Is a Reason to Modify a Divorce Decree?

Post-divorce modifications can be used to update specific sections of the divorce decree. Generally, property division cannot be modified after the divorce is finalized unless fraud can be established, or if community asset has been left out of the decree. More typical modifications of a divorce decree include changes to child support, child custody and possession, and other child-related issues in the order.

Examples of material and substantial changes may include:

  • Job loss
  • Relocation
  • A new job requiring a move
  • Serious illness in the child or a parent
  • A significant increase or decrease in income

Due to the complexities of Texas law, it is in your best interests to seek the advice of an attorney with experience in post-divorce modification. The Law Firm of T. Wade Jefferies represents clients seeking all types of post-divorce decree modifications and the modification of other orders.

Can Child Custody Orders Be Modified in Texas?

A parent can seek a modification of their child custody orders by filing a petition to modify, after the original decree was issued. You must do this with the court where your divorce was filed and granted, that is unless your child has relocated. If those cases, the modification takes place in the county where your child is currently living. This can involve a transfer of the case from the county where the divorce decree or other final order was entered, to the county where the child now primarily resides.

Hire an Experienced Attorney

Getting a divorce decree or other final order changed and modified without a skilled lawyer is extremely difficult. I will work closely with clients to support their goal of modifying orders in order to continue to meet the needs and best interests of themselves and their children. You can rest assured that your case is in good hands at The Law Firm of T. Wade Jefferies.

For more information or to schedule a consultation, please call (512) 379-6274 or complete this online contact form.

Why Hire The Law Firm of T. Wade Jefferies?

  • Empathetic Approach
    We have been exactly where you are and because of that, I can offer empathy and help in a way that is unique and solution-oriented.
  • Accounting Background
    When it comes to high stakes litigation, having counsel with an accounting background, skilled and experienced in litigation, and who understands how businesses operate and should be valued, is a significant asset.
  • Personalized Representation
    We value treating every client like family. Personal trust and relatability are the hallmarks of any good attorney-client relationship.